Joined Oriental Bank of Commerce (OBC) as Probationary Officer on 17th June, 1978, and served in different capacities till 6th November, 2007, interalia :-.
- Branch Incumbent in Khera Kalan (Rural); Sriganganagar (Manager, Lead Bank Office); Chief Manager, Overseas (Forex Branch)-Panchkuian Road, New Delhi; Chaura Bazar, Ludhiana, Hazrat Ganj, Lucknow Branches.
- General Manager, Regional Head in OBC’s largest flagship New Delhi Region, having total business of Rs. 12,500 crore from October 2003 to March 2006 wherein Deposits, Advances and Net Profit of the Region more than doubled in two and half years’ period and NPAs were reduced to less than one third i.e. from Rs. 285 crore to Rs. 90 crore during his tenure.
- At Head Office of OBC as General Manager/Dy. General Manager (HRD); (Recovery & Law); Asstt. General Manager (IT) and Integrated (Domestic & Forex) Treasury, Chief Manager, Corporate Loans, Planning & Development including Priority Sector. Also headed Economic Research, Organisation and Methods, Central Accounts, General Administration, Inspection & Control Departments etc., as Manager/Dy. Chief Manager.
- As General Manager (IT & New Initiatives) at Head Office implemented 100% Core Banking Software; Set up Three way Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity Process with zero data loss; Looked after Marketing of Bancassurance, Mutual Fund and other innovative products for augmenting Non-Interest Income.
- Spearheaded and played key role in setting up Joint Venture Company for Life Insurance in partnership of OBC with Canara Bank & HSBC (Insurance).
- Successfully handled merger of erstwhile Global Trust Bank Ltd with OBC with sole-responsibility for integration of technology platforms and product mapping.
- OBC was declared “Zero NPA Bank” in September 2003, during the incumbency as General Manager (Recovery) & HR. Effected highest recoveries in New Delhi Region of Oriental Bank of Commerce and settled highest number of 54 NPA cases involving Rs. 47 crore in a Lok Adalat at Delhi High Court in April, 2005 (Appreciation letter issued by Delhi High Court Legal Aid Committee & Chairman and Managing Director of OBC).
Consequent upon due selection process by Government of India and Reserve Bank of India, Shri T M Bhasin was selected and appointed as Executive Director in UNITED BANK OF INDIA with effect from 7th November 2007.
Government of India appointed Shri T M Bhasin as Chairman and Managing Director of Indian Bank with effect from 1st April 2010:
EDUCATIONAL & PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
of Shri T M Bhasin are as under:-
- MBA (Finance) from Faculty of Management Studies, (FMS), University of Delhi. (1984-87)
- Advanced Financial Management Programme at JFK School of Government, Harvard ,US (2004).
- LL.B. from Campus Law Centre, University of Delhi (1980-83)
- Certified Associate of Indian Institute of Bankers (CAIIB) (1988)
- M.Sc.(Gold Medalist) (1975-77)
- One Year Course in Criminology and Forensic Science (Delhi University Topper) (1983-84)
- Diploma in Office Organisation & Procedures from Punjab University, Chandigarh. (1982)
Accomplished research under C.H. Bhabha Research Scholarship Scheme of IBA 1999-2000 on “E-Commerce in Indian Banking”.
- An alumnus of FMS Alumni Association (1987), Delhi University.
- An alumnus of Harvard Alumni Association (2004), Harvard University (U.S.).
- Authored a Book on “E-Commerce in Indian Banking” 616 pages published by Authors Press, New Delhi (2002).
- Authored well researched articles on contemporary issues in renowned national dailies and Banking Journals / Magazines.
- As Honorary Secretary, IBA Delhi Chapter during August 2000 to November 2007 period coordinated and organized all major Banking Seminars, Bankers’ meets and other events under the aegis of IBA at Delhi.
OTHER HONORARY ASSIGNMENTS
Shri Bhasin is a member of various Boards and Governing bodies of reputed organizations such as
- Deputy Chairman, Indian Bank’s Association(IBA)
- Member of Prime Minister’s Task Force on Skill Development Council.
- Chairman, Education Loan Committee of Indian Bank's Association (IBA)
- Chairman, Financial Inclusion Committee of IBA
- Director on the Board of United India Insurance Co Ltd
- Member on Governing Board of NIBM
- Member on the Executive Board of Indian Banks Technology Consortium
- Member Governing Council, IIBF
- Member of the Governing Board of the Institute of Banking Personnel Selection (IBPS)
- Member of the Core Group of the Financial Services Technology Consortium (FSTC) of IDRBT.
FOREIGN ASSIGNMENTS / TRAININGS
- Member of Joint Trade Committee constituted by Govt. of India, Ministry of Commerce for Indo-Myanmar Trade Relations. (2008-10)
- Widely travelled / trained in India and Abroad.
Under the Chairmanship of Mr T M Bhasin, Indian Bank has received following Awards :-
- Our Bank has attained the first rank and has been conferred with the coveted National Award for Excellence in Lending to Micro Enterprises for FY 2012 on 3th April 2013 by the Hon’ble President of India.
- Received Operational Excellence Award for 2012 by NPCI on 14th December 2012.
- Received Outlook Money Award for the Best Bank Category on 13th December 2012.
- SKOCH Digital Inclusion Award 2012 for exemplary use of technology in Financial Inclusion – received from Shri. Nandan Nilekani, Chairman, Unique Identification Authority of India on 18th September 2012
- IBA- Banking Technology Awards 2011 for best use of technology in Training and eLearning (2nd Runner up) – received from Shri N R Narayana Murthy, Chairman, Emeritus Infosys Ltd on 27th August 2012.
- The Sunday Standard FINWIZ Award 2012 by New Indian Express for QUICKEST TURNAROUND – received from Shri Anand Sharma, Hon’ble Union Minister for Commerce and Industries on 20th August 2012.
- SKOCH Challenger Award 2012 – Banking for outstanding contribution in providing banking services to the unreached villages through various Financial Inclusion initiatives – received from Shri Montek Singh Ahluwalia, Hon’ble Deputy Chairman, Planning Commission in the presence of Dr C Rangarajan, Hon’ble Chairman, Economic Advisory Council to the Prime Minister on 27th March 2012.
- SKOCH Financial Inclusion Award – 2012 for completion of 100% Financial Inclusion in UT of Puducherry – received from Dr C Rangarajan, Hon’ble Chairman, Economic Advisory Council to the Prime Minister on 5th January 2012.
- Outlook Money Awards 2011 for best Education Loan provider – received from Shri Montek Singh Ahluwalia, Hon’ble Deputy Chairman, Planning Commission on 20th December 2011.
- Financial Express – Ernst & Young “Best Public Sector Bank Award 2010-11 (Runners up) – received from Shri Pranab Mukherjee, then Hon’ble Union Finance Minister on 17th September 2011.
- CNBC – TV 18 Award for the Best Public Sector Bank in mid size category for superior quality of assets, profitability, efficiency & Productivity – received from Shri Veerappa Moily, Hon’ble Union Minister for Corporate Affairs on 12th September 2011.
- Dun & Bradstreet Banking Award 2011 for Best Asset Quality received from Shri S S Tarapore, Former Deputy Governor, RBI on 30th August 2011.
- “Best Risk Master Award” under Public Sector Bank Category – received from Shri Prithviraj Chavan, Hon’ble Chief Minister of Maharashtra, in FICCI-IBA Conference FIBAC 2011 on 25th August 2011 &
- Listed among Top 150 Banks for Best RoA as per Banker Magazine
- Adjudged Third among the Public Sector Banks as the Best Service Branch by Economic Times Brand Equity.
- ISO 9001:2008 Certification for our Corporate Office Building – 1st Corporate Office building of PSBDs in India to get the ISO Certification.
PROGRESS OF INDIAN BANK AS ON 31.03.2013
- Business level grew by 17.52 per cent to a 249,136 crore for the year ended March 2013. While Deposits grew by a 21,176 crore or 17.53 per cent to a 141,980 crore, Credit grew by a 15,972 crore or 17.52 per cent to a 107,156 crore. The growth of the Bank in other financial parameters is as under:
- Operating profit of the Bank was at a 3,061 crore, while Net Profit stood at a 1,581 crore in FY 2012-13.
- Net worth of the Bank increased to a 10,838.84 crore and the Capital Adequacy Ratio under Basel II was at 13.08 per cent (Tier I – 10.88, Tier II – 2.20).
- Return on Assets at 1.02 per cent continues to be the best among Public Sector Banks.
- Bank’s Net Profit to Business ratio at 0.64 is the second best among the Public Sector Banks.
- Net Interest Margin (NIM) continues to be above the 3 per cent mark and stood at 3.09 per cent.
- Bank has reached all the stipulated norms under Priority sector advances which at a 36,421 crore was 42.1 per cent of the Adjusted Net Bank Credit (ANBC), while Agriculture lending has risen by a 3646 crore to a 17,001 crore as on March 31, 2013.
- Bank has 73 specialised branches across the country exclusively catering to the SME sector; the SME portfolio increased by a 3,588 crore or 35 per cent to a 13,746 crore.
- Earning per share (annualised) and Book value per share were at a 35.80 and a 242.89 respectively. Return on Equity was at 14.89 per cent in the current year.
- Towards having a healthy Balance sheet adequate provisioning has been made towards NPAs and employee benefits.
- For specialized lending to SHGs, Bank has exclusively 45 MICROSATE branches. These branches have disbursed a590 crore covering 23,457 SHGs during FY 2012-13 and the total outstanding advances as at end-March 2013 stood at a746 crore covering 56,913 SHGs.
- Bank has opened 1418 Ultra Small Branches (USBs) in the villages with population above 2000, covered through BC model under Financial Inclusion.
- Under the Financial Inclusion Plan, Bank has provided banking services to 3494 villages with population above 2000 as well as below 2000 through various delivery channels as below:
- 3380 villages through Smart card based Business Correspondent (BC) model;
- 26 villages through Brick and mortar branches;
- 34 villages through Banking Service Centres (BSCs); and
- 54 villages through Mobile branch/van.
- In the Union Territory of Puducherry, where Bank is the SLBC Convenor, all the villages with population above 2000 and villages with population 2000 and below have been provided with banking services through various delivery channels under the Financial Inclusion Plan by the member banks.
- Under the Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) scheme, in the 43 pilot districts, Bank is Lead Bank in Chittoor District of Andhra Pradesh and SLBC Convenor in the UT of Puducherry. In Puducherry district, accounts have been opened for all the 4249 beneficiaries under 13 schemes and in Chittoor district, accounts have been opened for all the 1.29 lakh beneficiaries under 8 schemes. In Krishna and Yanam districts, accounts have been opened for 1.07 lakh beneficiaries under 5 schemes and 753 beneficiaries under 3 schemes, respectively from whom details have been received.
- Bank has international presence in Singapore and Colombo & Jaffna in Sri Lanka. Besides, Bank has correspondent banking arrangements in 69 countries.
BANK WITH INDIAN BANK
YOUR TECH FRIENDLY BANK